Thursday, August 28, 2008

Insurance

In preparation to take ownership of the car this evening, I called my insurance company to advise them of my purchase. For just a few more dollars per year, I was able to get a zero deductible policy. I also advised them that I was intending to convert the vehicle from gas to electric. The rep asked me a series of questions and then informed me that she would refer my file to another department and that they would get back to me within 48 hours with more questions and/or a decision on whether or not they would insure the EV. Elizabeth and I both have long standing excellent driving records so I am hopeful that the insurer will have a positive answer. Most of the questions asked pertained to the type of modifications made to the car and whether it would have more power. I answered honestly and stated that there would be no major modifications made to the car but that many ICE (internal combustion engine) parts would be removed. I also told them that the car would actually have less power and a limited range. The last question I was asked was "Why are you considering doing this electric conversion ?". I quickly answered that our family has done a lot lately to be more energy efficient and environment friendly. I also added that we want to reduce our vehicle maintenance and operation costs on things like the gas engine and related parts and obviously reduce our dependency on gasoline (a polluting and expensive resource). The rep reminded me that our conversation was recorded and thanked me for my answers.

Here is a quote from a book I've been reading named "Smart Power" by William H. Kemp:

"Family budgets are strained from the rising costs of living: taxes, mortgages, car payments, and energy bills for homes and vehicles. As a society we rarely consider the source of these costs. People hop on the bandwagon of the middle-class dream fueled by two incomes that make it happen. Large homes in the suburbs require enormous amounts of heat, light, and air conditioning, and many have two cars to get to distant jobs. All of this eats away at our precious discretionary income and our free time".

Jim

No comments: